Drunk Driving penalties in California are set forth by statute and can be incredibly complex. The range of possible sentences is determined by the basic statute, with sentence enhancements for such things as:
- Having a prior conviction within ten years
- Speeding 20 mph over the limit
- Having a child under 14 in the car
- Having a blood-alcohol reading over .15%
- Refusing to submit to chemical testing
Within the range, the actual sentence in a drinking and driving case will be affected by:
- The facts of the case
- Any policies of the local court and prosecutors
- The weaknesses in the case uncovered by the defense attorney
- The reputation of that attorney
DUI Penalties in California
An overview of penalties for drunk driving from the website of one of the top DUI defense attorneys in Southern California.
California DUI Penalties
Further links to websites relating to penalties in California for drunk driving.
Clearing Your Record
Discussion of post-conviction procedures for setting aside a plea or verdict of guilty and obtaining a dismissal.
Drunk Driving Penalties by State
A brief chart of penalties for drunk driving arranged by state, from the Consumer Insurance Guide.